Monday, February 7, 2011

In the Swing of Things...

I do believe that last week was the quickest moving week of all time.  I haven't blogged in about a week, and for that I am sorry.  Sometimes life just gets in the way when we get busy living.  Over the past few days, I have cooked some delicious meals - all of which I will tell you about below.  Happy reading and delicious eating!

Raisin,Date, and Walnut Oatmeal
At last, I have found another flavor of oatmeal that I enjoy.  I bought the Publix brand raisin,date, and walnut oatmeal just for kicks - thinking that I would hate it.  BUT - I love, love, love it!  Here is how I made mine.  I took 2 packs of the oatmeal.  I topped the dry oatmeal with about 1 tablespoon of Brown Sugar Splenda and stirred in almost one whole cup of boiling water.  I then tossed the oatmeal in the microwave for about 1 minute and 15 seconds.  I took the oatmeal out and stirred in 1/4 of a cup of fat free Half and Half.  Yum, yum, yum - hearty, delicious, and very filling! (8 points total)

Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza
First, I pulled out a Artistan Flatbread (that I bought from Publix) and tossed it in a baking pan.  I set the oven on 425 so that it could preheat.  I mixed together 2 tablespoons of ketchup with 2 teaspoons of mustard.  I spread about 1/2 of this mixture all over the top of the flat bread.  I then took the remaining sauce and stirred in 2 ounces of ground turkey breast that I browned and drained the other day.  I added the turkey to the pizza.  I then topped the pizza with 2 tablespoons of low fat shredded cheese, 2 tablespoons of the real bacon bits, 2 tablespoons of Cheddar flavored french fried onions, and 2 tablespoons of diced pickles.  I baked the pizza for about 8 minutes at 425!  Delicious! (8 points total)

Spinach and Garlic Saute
First of all, let me say that I love spinach.  Love it, love it, love it!  As a child I wouldn't go near it, and now I cannot figure out why I hated it.  Maybe because I didn't like that cartoon "Popeye" - but I digress.  Anyway, I love it.  My favorite way to eat it is as follows.  First I take 3 cloves of garlic.  I peel them and dice them up.  I toss them in a pan that has 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil.  To the pan, on top of the garlic I add about 4 cups of spinach, a little salt and pepper.  I saute the spinach and garlic over medium high heat until the spinach wilts.  Enjoy! (1 point total because of the oil) * Spinach is filled with fiber, and garlic is a heart healthy food.  I eat this almost everyday with my lunch.  I buy 3 or 4 bags of spinach a week, but don't tell Popeye or Olive Oil because I'm not trying to fight anyone. hehe


Baked Sweet Potatoes
First, I preheat my oven to 450 degrees.  Then I take sweet potatoes (medium, one per person) and scrub them clean. I then wrap them in foil and throw them in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours.  I then remove the potatoes from the oven and throw away the foil.  Next, I slice the potato in half and mash it up.  I top the potato with about 1 tablespoon of Brown Sugar Splenda (yes,yes,yes - they make this.  Praise the Lord!) and Healthy Squeeze butter ( I used to be able to find this everywhere, but now I can only find it at Bi -Lo.  It's in a regular sized squeeze bottle with a green sticker.  If you use it, you will never miss "real" butter.  If you can't find this butter, the butter spray works okay.) The whole potato is 4 points with the toppings, and it is so delicious!

Baked Tomatoes
This dish is my absolute favorite side dish.  It goes great with anything,and it is - without a doubt - one of the easiest dishes to make.  First, I wash some plum tomatoes (about 3 to 4 per person).  Next, I slice the bottom off the of the tomato and then I slice the tomatoes length wise. (Just like you would slice a baked potato.)  Next I place the tomatoes in a pan, flesh side up.  I top each with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.  I then place one basil leaf on each tomato half.  Then I top the whole dish with grated Parmesan cheese ( about 1/8 of a cup per person).  Then I bake these in the oven uncovered at 450 for about 35 minutes.  These are delicious.  (6 to 8 halves is about 1 point)  I cannot begin to even describe how delicious they are.  You simply must try them, and let me know what you think!


BBQ Boneless Chicken
Pull out about 5 ounces of defrosted boneless, skinless chicken per person.  Chop the chicken into big chunks and brown in a pan on the stove.  To brown your chicken, first turn a pan on medium high heat and spray the pan with cooking spray.  Salt and pepper the chicken and add it to the pan.  Leave it alone.  Let it cook for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side.  If you only flip it once and leave it alone, it will brown nicely.  After browning the chicken, coat both sides in your favorite barbeque sauce (low points of course) and put it in a baking dish.  Cover and bake for 20 minutes in about a 425 degree oven.  Remove lid and bake about 5 minutes more.  Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment