Tuesday, February 8, 2011

When the craving hits, you just have to think outside the box!

So, last night as I was lying in bed trying to sleep and ignore my husband's snoring, I saw a commercial for a local restaurant.  They were advertising their mozzarella sticks filled with oooey, gooey, cheesy goodness! At 1:00 am, the craving hit me.  I wanted some mozzarella cheese sticks.  I rolled over in the bed, convinced myself that I could wait to figure out what I would do about this craving after a good night's sleep, and went off to dream land.  I literally dreamed this recipe up.  There I was, in my dream, standing in the kitchen making my own healthy version of the snack that I fell asleep craving.  This morning, for breakfast, I ate some raisin, date, and walnut oatmeal with Fat Free Half and Half and Brown Sugar Splenda, and then I went about making my morning snack - mozzarella cheese sticks!

"Faux" Cheese Sticks
Okay, here is what I did.  First, I pulled two low fat cheese sticks out of the fridge and opened them.  I then split each cheese stick into fourths - long ways.  I coated each in egg beaters (you could use an egg white if you have one of those instead).  Next I crushed up 2 tablespoons of cheddar flavored french fried onions in my food processor and rolled my cheese in the crumbs.  I baked them on 425 until the cheese began to melt.  YUM, YUM, YUM!  I ate mine plain, but you could eat them with some pizza sauce in the jar.  The two cheese sticks with the eggbeaters and onions were only 3 points.  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment