Monday, January 31, 2011

Magnificent Monday Meal Time: Lunch

Planning breakfast and dinner come naturally to me.  I could sit here and type a list of 20 things that I could eat for breakfast and hundreds of ideas for dinner.  Breakfast ideas can range from traditional to wild and crazy.  In the mornings, I am usually tired and eating because I need to.  I don't wake up starving, but I know that I need to eat something to stay on point for the day.  Usually I buy a variety of things and when I wake up, it just comes to me.  Dinner is basically the same.  I can think of a million things to do to chicken and veggies to make them healthy and delicious.  But lunch, yes LUNCH, proves to be the meal that gives me the biggest challenge.  Regular sandwiches and salads are alright I guess, but I need a good, solid, filling lunch to stay on track and within my point range.  I have spent months creating lunch menu after lunch menu, and I am finally satisfied with what I've come with.  My favorite lunch is a homemade, low-fat pizza.  I like to think of my favorite fast food or restaurant burger and turn it into a healthy pizza using low-fat bread, ground turkey, and a few other ingredients.  Today, I'd like to share 2 of those pizza recipes with you.

Buffalo and Blue Cheese Turkey Pizza
First, I get out a  Rosemary and Olive Oil Flat Out and heat my oven to 425.  Next, I mix together 2 tablespoons of ketchup and 1 tablespoon of Frank's Hot Wing Sauce.  I spread this mixture onto the entire flat out.  I then sprinkle on the following: 4 tablespoons browned,ground turkey breast that I have cooked and tossed lightly in the wing sauce, 2 tablespoons Treasure Cave Reduced Fat blue cheese, 2 tablespoons French's fried onions, and 2 tablespoons of diced pickles.  I then cook in the oven for 10 minutes.  The whole pizza is 7 points and it is delicious!


Pimento Burger Pizza
First, I get out a Rosemary and Olive Oil Flat Out and heat my oven to 425.  Next, I mix together 2 tablespoons of ketchup and 2 teaspoons of mustard.  I spread this mixture onto the bread.  I then sprinkle on the following: 4 tablespoons of browned,ground turkey breast that I have cooked and drained, 1 tablespoon of Ruth's Light Pimento Cheese spread, 2 tablespoons of French's Fried Onions,and 2 tablespoons of pickles.  I then pop it in the oven for 10 minutes.  The whole pizza is 7 points and it is wonderful!  You'll never miss those fast food burgers or pizzas!

* You can use any type of bread to keep the 7 point total as long as the bread is 3 points total.  I also like to use the Toufayan Whole Wheat Pita Bread (the large one), or a pair of the Arnold thins.

* Don't use an English muffin.  They get too soggy in my opinion.

* To reduce the point value by one, omit the French's Fried onions, especially if you don't like them.

* Not a fan of pimento cheese?  Top with 3 tablespoons of reduced fat shredded cheese to keep the point value the same.

* Next, I am going to make a homemade Big Mac burger using Fat Free Thousand Island as my base, those little tiny onion pieces, pickles, ketchup,a flat out, and shredded cheese.  I can't wait to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment