Saturday, January 29, 2011

Breakfast: Sprucing Up Instant Oatmeal!

Ever since I was a little girl, I have despised oatmeal.  Something about the way it looks just threw me off.  However, in recent years, I have grown quite fond of the brownish gooey goodness.  I try to eat 2 packs of oatmeal at lest 4 times a week for breakfast, because in addition to losing weight, I am also trying to lower my cholesterol.  Most people don't have a lot of time to spend on breakfast especially during the week days, and instant oatmeal is a quick and nutritious option.  Here is how I cook mine:

Creamy,Peachy Oatmeal
I prefer the fruit and cream instant oatmeal, and my favorite flavor is peach.  So each week, I buy the Quaker Peaches and Cream Instant Oatmeal, and then I add a little flare to make it "faux homemade". First I measure out a cup of frozen peaches from the freezer.  I place the peaches in the microwave and defrost them for about 2 minutes, but you could also use a cup of fresh peaches if you have any on hand.  Then, I place 2 packets of oatmeal in a bowl with one cup of water.  I then toss it in the microwave for 2 minutes and 22 seconds.  ( I know, random #.) While the oatmeal is cooking, I spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray and grill my peaches until they are slightly browned on both sides and soft throughout.  I then slice the peaches into bite sized pieces, remove my oatmeal from the microwave and finish off this delicious dish.  I put the peaches in the oatmeal, and then I throw in 1/4 cup of Fat Free Half and Half.  Finally, I stir and enjoy.  This dish is unbelievably filling and tasty.  After you toss in the half and half, it looks similar to peach cobbler, and man is it good!  If you are following the weight watchers plan, the 2 packets of oatmeal are 7 points, the cup of peaches is 0 points, and the half and half is 1 point which, when added together, equals 8 delicious points!  Happy reading and delicious eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment