Friday, January 28, 2011

Dinner and a Movie on a Friday Night:

My hubby has been working 10 hours a day for the last 2 weeks, and by Friday evening, he is usually exhausted.  Since I am not currently working, by the time Friday rolls around, I am usually stir crazy!  I tell him all throughout the week that we are going to have a relaxing weekend at home so he can rest, but that never happens.  We always find something to do.  Well actually I find US something to do and drag him along for the ride.  Bless his heart, and thank the Lord he loves me!  But THIS weekend, I promise to give him a relaxing weekend at home.  I spent ALL day Wednesday buying groceries and running around town, and then I did the same thing yesterday going to doctors' offices and various pharmacies and stores for the sick ones in my family. So, this weekend, I'm all about staying in and relaxing.  Plus we cheated on our diet last night and can only do that once a week.  So dinner and a movie at home for us.  Promise.  Swear.  My hubby says he will believe it when he sees it.  I guess that's a challenge and I will WIN.  Well, maybe we could go to a few yard sales or take a walk in the park to get out of the house for a little bit, lol!


Dinner:  Cardboard NO, delicious YES!
Without fail, every night as I'm cooking dinner, I think about a news reporter who lost weight.  I remember his news report on how he did it.  He said most nights for dinner he ate grilled chicken and steamed carrots.  Hello! No thank you.  I wouldn't last on that diet past night 2.  With all the delicious, low-fat options out there, how dare he eat bland chicken and steamed carrots!  So I promise to keep dinner adventurous, delicious, and to give you the most bang for you buck.  Eat on a salad plate, nah.  Eat on a big plate and fill it with healthy options.

5 ounces grilled chicken breast (4 points)  First, I defrost enough boneless, skinless chicken for my hubby and I.  Then I slice it into bite sized pieces.  I spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray and cook the chicken on medium high until both sides are browned (about 2 minutes on each side).  Then I throw a little chicken broth (low sodium/low fat) into the pan and stick it in the oven until the chicken is no longer pink (anywhere from 8 - 12 minutes) based on how big you cut the chicken, but definitely cut the chicken up.  Then I pull it out the oven, toss the broth and brown again for a few seconds on each side.  You can choose to just pan grill it on the stove or bake it if you'd like, but I like the flavor that the little bit of broth gives it, and it keeps it moist.

1/3 cup roasted red pepper sauce (1 point) I use a jar of roasted red pepper strips that are in water not oil.  I dice a small onion up and saute the peppers and onions in a pan until cooked through.  I toss the peppers, onions, 2 tablespoons of fat free sour cream, and 1 Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss Cheese wedge into a blender and puree until smooth.  I pour the sauce over the chicken.  (You can cook some Smart Taste penne pasta, and eat a cup of it for 4 points instead of the potatoes.  Top the pasta with chicken and sauce. Add a little fresh parsley and toss.  Delicious, but I was feeling the red potatoes tonight.)

1 cup roasted red potatoes (4 points) I cut small red potatoes into wedges.  I do this by cutting it in half and then cutting each half into thirds.  I spray the potatoes with cooking spray or butter spray and toss to coat.  I sprinkle salt and pepper over them.  Then I put them on a non stick pan that I spray with no stick spray.  I cook the potatoes at 425 covered with foil, skin side up, for 25 minutes.  Then I pull the foil off and cook for 10 more minutes.  Finally, I flip the potatoes over and cook for 10 more minutes, flesh side up.  Finally, I put the cooked potatoes in a bowl and toss with butter spray, a little pepper and sea salt, and some parsley.

1 cup roasted green beans and sauteed grape tomatoes (1 point) * This is a Weight Watchers recipe that I got off of weightwatchers.com  where I am a member.  Coat a baking pan with cooking spray.  Place 1 1/2 cups of green beans per person eating on the pan.  Roast until they are done.  I usually cook mine about 35 to 40 minutes uncovered.  In a bowl, combine 2 cups of grape tomatoes, 1/4 cup of thinly sliced basil and salt and pepper.  Toss to combine.  Pull beans out of oven when they are done.  Toss with tomatoes.  Enjoy!

All that for a total of 10 points on the new Weight Watchers Points Plus System.  I'll take that over a small burger and 4 french fries any day of the week.  I'm excited about dinner just typing that up.  Happy reading and delicious eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment