Monday, January 31, 2011

Delicious Food Cures the Monday Blues!

Ah, it's Monday!  A day that many people dread every Sunday night.  For most people, Monday means going back to work and getting back into their daily routine.  It used to mean the same thing for me until I left the teaching profession.  Now Monday represents my first day of 5 that I have to be home finding something to occupy my time.  After 4 months of being a "housewife", I really do need a job.  My resume is floating throughout the county and I have some potential jobs lined up, so we will see what happens.  In the meantime, my focus is on finding as many quick and easy breakfast and lunch options as I can, so that when I return to work, I will still have the time to fix healthy meals that tastes good and don't bore me.

Breakfast: Today I fixed peachy,creamy oatmeal.  I have already listed this recipe in a post a few days back on 1/29/11. It was delicious and very filling!

Snack # 1: Miso Soup
I like to eat.  No surprise there.  Whenever, it's snack time, a few carrots just aren't going to cut it with me!  I need a snack with some substance - something that is going to keep me full until my next meal time so that I will be less tempted to reach for junk!  I love Miso soup, and it's so low fat and easy to make that I usually make a big pot every week.  I eat it as a snack or as part of a meal with lunch or dinner.

First I put 6 cups of low sodium chicken broth in a pot, and I bring it to a boil.  Once it boils, I reduce the heat to low.  I toss in 4 cups of fresh spinach and 1 cup of firm tofu (diced).  I continue to cook the soup on low until the spinach begins to wilt.  Then I add a little salt and pepper and stir.  Next, I pull out 2/3 of a cup of the hot liquid from the pot (liquid only).  Then I stir in 3 tablespoons of miso paste into the 2/3 of a cup of liquid.  Then I pour the miso liquid back into the pot, stir and serve.

* 1 1/2 cups of the soup is one point.
* I usually add 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of French Fried Onions to the soup to make it even better, and I top it with a chopped scallion.
*  The only place close to Aiken that I could find miso paste is at Earthfare in Augusta.  I could never find it anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment